A Palm Sunday Sermon

Here is the sermon for Palm Sunday - it has been a while since I posted anything to the New Kid Deep Stuff Blog, though I have a load of sermons I have been thinking of sharing! I know that parts of this sermon I have recycled, but it was extensively rewritten for our shared service for Anglicans and Baptists here in Kilmington. Sometimes the core of an idea is worth using again and adapting for a particular situation! I have a second sermon preached on that day which I may post sometime....

Year C Palm Sunday 2010

What did they think they were doing?


As we hear again the familiar story of the entry of Jesus into Jerusalem, as we imagine the crowds pressing against him, the shouts, the palm trees being stripped of leaves, cloaks laid on the ground. As we imagine the air ringing with the sound of acclamation ‘Hosanna to the Son of David’. As we see this rag tag collection of ordinary people, along with prostitutes, tax-collectors, fishermen, labourers, fanatics, religious types following this odd figure seated upon a donkey, a beast of burden. As we wonder at the adulation of the crowd and the song of people we should ask ourselves – what did they think they were doing? [more]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to connect the dots, unnecessarily

A Sermon which upset someone