With so many friends twittering, I thought it about time I got in on the act, perhaps I will update it more often than my blog! Find me at http://twitter.com/fracme
If you want to drive a bit more traffic to your blog... you can always register this page (and New Kid Deep Stuff), with a useful tool called Twitterfeed:
http://twitterfeed.com/
I nicked it from a link to a Tweet from Wil Wheaton of Star Trek/Stand By Me fame.
Photo by Daniel Morton on Unsplash Well it's been a few weeks, and there's been a lot of reading going on though, for various reasons, I've not fulfilled my aim of reading Dan McLellan's 'The Bible Says So' though I keep up with Dan's work online and continue to be grateful for his insights and refutations of bad Biblical Scholarship and misinformation. I remember a time when I thought I had all the answers, when I thought that I knew about what was in the Bible, that I read the Bible in the way it was meant to be read. I know now that I was being fed a certain way of reading Scripture that backed up my presuppositions rather than allowing Scripture to challenge me, or allowing me to challenge the Scriptures I read. When writers such as Zach Lambert, whose book I reviewed in my last post, or Dan McLellan offer new ways of learning about the Bible and its construction, and new ways of interpreting and viewing the Bible, I now realize that this is not the t...
Have had a little changeabout, added a couple of links and changed some of the books under my reading and recommended list. I still recommend Brian McLaren's Generous Orthodoxy despite many people seeming to get all hot under the collar about it - I thought it was well written and engaging and thought provoking. Like most books I read I didn't agree with everything in it - but then i don't tend to choose books just to re-inforce my prejudices, but to widen my perspective. The books in the sidebar link to Amazon UK, you obviously don't have to buy them from there, but the reviews are sometimes quite helpful and prices good. If you get the chance, go and check them out at your local SPCK or Wesley Owen stores... or any good bookstore!
I think I might have been overconfident about getting two reviews done quickly! It's been a busy couple of weeks, with some heavy stuff to deal with, but I did get Zach's book read! What a delight this book is! Really worth five stars - it's accessible, written with clarity and depth, there's a warmth about it that is engaging and encouraging. Zach reminds us (because many of those who claim to be Christian don't believe it) that we all read the Bible through interpretative lenses. I grew up in a Church tradition which thought that it read the Bible in the 'right' way - that the interpretation given by the pastor was the only way we should look at Scripture. As soon as I started studying Theology I realized how many different ways the Bible is read - and that more often than not, more is read INTO the Bible than actually comes from Scripture. 'better ways...' looks at three of the lenses which are used in many Churches and which cause hurt and har...
Comments
If you want to drive a bit more traffic to your blog... you can always register this page (and New Kid Deep Stuff), with a useful tool called Twitterfeed:
http://twitterfeed.com/
I nicked it from a link to a Tweet from Wil Wheaton of Star Trek/Stand By Me fame.
Seems to work just fine!
:-)