A book a day for November 16


Sixteen days straight without missing a post, some kind of record, except when I had that blog madness a year or so ago and posted lots and lots and lots and lots etc

Not that I'm getting a huge number of comments on this series of books - obviously not firing the popular imagination....

But, this is what I've committed myself to and I am nothing if not stupid, I mean, committed.

Today's choice is a bit of heavy theology



Actually 'truth is stranger than it used to be' is more philosophy than theology, I think, and if someone wants to pick me up on that definition, then the comments section is open for business anytime! But this book looks at cultural shift and the features of the societal change and 'world view' often termed 'postmodernity'. About which I did a whole load of posts starting here.

I do enjoy thinking about this subject, though I realise that some disagree with the very concept of 'the postmodern', but I don't think we can deny that Western culture (using that word in the broadest sense) is changing the basis of the way that people relate to the world, to each other and indeed to the very concept of 'truth'. Middleton and Walsh do a very good job of deconstructing the component parts of this change and offer the start of a process by which the Church can seek to engage with a changing culture. It is very much a starting point, apart from the fact that the book is over thirteen years old and was the beginning of the process, there are no attempts to sew up the argument but encourage Christians to think again about what we proclaim and how we might share our story with the world. More like a text book than simple reading, but worth the slog.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Okay. Here's a comment. It is neither intelligent nor relevant, but it's a comment.

I come by and read your posts every day or so you know. Somebody is paying attention to all your hard work.
Alastair said…
Thanks Quilly, I know you read every day, I do the same at your place too, but leave too few comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to connect the dots, unnecessarily

Sad Vicar