Lest we forget


Today is 'Armistice Day' - Remembrance Sunday - the anniversary of the Armistice which ended the 1914-18 'Great War' (11th of the 11th at 11am). It is, I believe, roughly equivalent to 'Veteran's Day' in the States. Today we have given thanks for the sacrifice made by those who have fought for freedom in times of war. We have grieved at the bloodshed of wartime. We have prayed for those who serve in our Armed forces. We have committed ourself to peace.

As a symbol of this Remembrance we wear a poppy, the flower found in abundance after the battles in France and Belgium in World War I. The blood red flower found where so many had fallen.


Comments

Anonymous said…
One day per year to honor the many who have sacrificed their own lives and well-being for my freedom seems too little to offer. I am gratetful everyday, even when I don't remember to show it.

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to connect the dots, unnecessarily

Sad Vicar