Thinking continues

Have rediscovered my interest in 'postmodernity' - ie considering what cultural change our society is undergoing and wondering how the church should respond to it. Am reading a couple of books on the subject 'Who's afraid of Postmodernism' and 'the out of bounds church' as well as continuing to plough through my emerging church reading matter.

I say this because having started reading and thinking on this all about 12 years ago i just left it and got caught up in the world of 'church' and 'ministry' - so often focussing on maintaining the church as it is and keeping things going (whilst on a pretty steep learning curve with regards to what it means to be a priest!) without, in many ways, engaging very much with the society around the church. Of course i constantly interact with people, and pastor those both inside and outside the church, but i wasn't necessarily doing the thinking and praying and engaging with things that perhaps i should have.

I do feel that over the past few months i have done a bit of waking up, and am moving in my own personal spiritual life and within my role as a minister to re-committing myself to mission rather than ministry. That's a whole new subject, though, and one which could take a lifetime to unpack.

Comments

Tom said…
Post modernism has never made any sense to me. The ideas just don't seem new at all.

I'd like to read any revelations about it you might have.

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to connect the dots, unnecessarily

A Sermon which upset someone