Thirteen years and counting

Today is the anniversary of my ordination, thirteen years ago I was a pale and trembling youth ascending the steps to St Paul's Cathedral to be ordained by the Bishop of London under the cross which sits upon the central dome of London's famous landmark.

Actually, I wasn't pale, but I was trembling, and the weight of responsibility that came from that day, the 'cure of souls' shared with the Bishop, firstly of London (& Kensington), then Ely (& Huntingdon), and now Exeter (& Crediton) - the bracketed names are Suffragan/Area Bishops who work under the authority of the Diocesan Bishop - that weight of responsibility has never left me and I still feel hugely privileged to be serving the Church and the Communities in which I am set.

I didn't have any particular 'celebration' of the day, but after doing an Assembly for the local school, then spending the morning doing admin, I went to visit a woman, aged 100, to share Communion with her and her husband. It was probably the best and most moving way I could have marked today - this woman is poorly and very week, but she was visibly enlivened by the sharing of bread and wine and by the blessing that followed. It was quiet, understated and profound. A reminder of the privilege and responsibility of this ministry.

Today is also St Peter's Day and I prepared a sermon for this which I preached yesterday. I will endeavour to post it soon!

Comments

Melli said…
Happy Anniversary Alastair! Isn't the community blessed that the long and winding road brought you to them!

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to connect the dots, unnecessarily

Sad Vicar