Return and reflection

It's been a very long time since I've used this blog, but now seems like a good time to return. I've missed writing things to throw out into the ether, and the interactions and relationships which came from them and I've certainly missed the wisdom which has been shared in response to what I post.
I think I should say something of why things have been so quiet here.

It's partly because this was an outlet, a way of expressing the quirky world of Clergy life in rural
England - where collegial relationships were limited and a (somewhat overworked) Vicar needed to have a place to think out loud. That changed when I came here to Canada, way back in July 2013, as I found myself on a team of lay and ordained ministers who gave each other space to think, to muse, to discuss, to learn. It was, and is, a liberation - and though that team has changed composition over this past six years it continues to be a creative, supportive partnership,

Another reason for less (read 'pretty much no') blogging here has been the presence of a church blog at stjohnthedivine.bc.ca - not quite so neglected as this one, there have been periods - namely Lent and Advent - when I have had plenty of outlet for my creativity in daily blog postings. Tempting as it was to copy and past those entries here, it seemed something of a duplication of effort. 

A third, and perhaps most significant, reason for a lack of activity here has been great upheavals in my personal life. I won't go into detail but suffice to say the past six years have seen the end of a significant relationship, which also involved my ex-wife and children moving back to England from here in Victoria, BC, and the beginning of a new chapter of life here, It's been a roller-coaster, and not a ride I felt it appropriate to share publicly. I care deeply about my children and my ex, but the ups and downs of the past few years weren't really for public consumption. Since then I have been fortunate enough to meet a new partner, and indeed married her less than a week ago, and am enjoying the initial stages of married bliss! 

So that's a catch up with me - who knows, with all that's going on in my life I may well yet resurrect this space, I know there's plenty to say - about life, about ministry, about the Anglican Church in Canada, about what being an Archdeacon is! And I know that I am happy to share much of it, as life unfolds in new and exciting ways, as well as the everyday ups and downs of what I do. See you on the other side!

Comments

Bob MacDonald said…
You are not alone among the clergy in blogging - though many come and go. Your colleague Christopher Page has recently stopped - whether for a while or for ever - who can say?

I have blogged and written since the late 1990s from before blogging software was invented. I am on a bit of a hiatus too, having finished the daily blogging I did while translating the Hebrew Bible. Since then I have started composing based on the melodies of the accents of the Hebrew Bible. Crazy! I should take some refresher courses in composition first - don't you think! My training is 50+ years old though I have dabbled in composition over the years. (David S had a look at some of my music - you can ask him if you wish.)

One very thoughtful blogger (blogging less often since tragedy hit his family) is Jim Gordon (not Anglican!) e.g. livingwittily.typepad.com/my_weblog/2019/07/some-important-metaphors-in-the-moral-grammar-book.html". I occasionally share his posts to Facebook. Another retired pastor is Tim Bulkeley from NZ - has several blogs including the amusingly named sansblogue. He too is blogging less these days.

Anyway - good luck and good writing. And may your visit to India be the eye and ear opener it is bound to be!

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to connect the dots, unnecessarily

Sad Vicar