I believe

Last week I mentioned i had spoken on the theme of faith and belief as the opening talk in a series of Lent thoughts about the Apostle's creed. So here it is

Congratulations on making it to the first of our talks for this Lenten period as we grapple with the Apostle’s Creed. As it was my suggestion that we follow this series over these five weeks it is also my responsibility to say why this is a good idea, and what we hope will happen, before I get on with talking about what we are doing when we say ‘I believe…’ particularly when we consider this creed that we will be looking and saying together over the coming weeks…

I’ll come clean and say that the reason we are looking at this document over the coming weeks is because I think that on the whole very few of us really think about what we are doing when we stand up together and say the Creeds. Week by week we reel off either the Apostle’s Creed – our subject of study and the version used in morning and evening prayer; or the Nicene Creed – a longer document used at Holy Communion started with the early Church council of Nicea in 325 a.d. The Creed was formally adopted at the Council of Chalcedon in 451 a.d...more

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have had two seperate pastors teach a series on each of the creeds and I learned something from both pastors about both creeds, but mostly about myself and my beliefs. I think this is a good study for Lent.

Sorry I haven't been around much. RL is interfering with my VL.
Jem said…
Enjoyed reading the full version. Found the white on black challenging to read for such a long text.

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to connect the dots, unnecessarily

Sad Vicar